Friday, July 15, 2011

First Harvest

Oh the first harvest of the season from my own garden is glorious! All the sweating and hoeing and digging is so worth it when you snap off that beautiful zucchini or snap bean! What happens to me every year is, around the first of July, I start to obsessively watch for things to grow. Then, just when I let my guard down BAM suddenly there is a huge zucchini or fat cucumber lurking from beneath the leaves!

Here's what I found today:

This year I vowed not to over-plant and I dutifully made myself content with four bean plants rather than 14 (as is frequently my habit).  The goal is to eat everything that it arrives and while its fresh. I don't want to have to turn zucchinis into bread because they sat on my counter too long and I don't want to throw ANY of it in the compost pile!

The plan with this bounty?

Tonight: Grilled Pierogies, Kielbasa, and Zucchini (with one of them)

Tomorrow: Spaghetti and Stuffed Zucchini with the other

Sunday? Some sort of meat item with fresh green beans

And refrigerator pickles with the cukes!

No comments: